October is a month in celebration of many things including Sexual Assault Awareness.
Sexual assault is a huge issue that affects men and women, especially on college campuses. Every 107 seconds, another American is sexually assaulted, according to RAINN. Every year, there are 293 victims of sexual assault. “No More” is an organization that aims to stop domestic assault and violence, and raise awareness of it. They’re a “unifying symbol and campaign to raise public awareness and engage bystanders around ending domestic violence and sexual assault.” The SSU Florence Luscomb Women’s Center held a campaign on campus last week to aid No More’s advocacy. You may have seen them giving out purple ribbons and asking you if you’d like to take a picture of your reason why you say no more to sexual assault. Students came up with some awesome reasons why they say no more. Here are our top 10 favorites:
1. Because everyone deserves to feel safe
2. Because nobody should live in fear.
3. Because everyone is worth respect and love.
5. Because nobody deserves to feel unloved.
6. Because everyone deserves to be safe at home.
7. Because too many people normalize these actions and think they are okay but THEY’RE NOT
8. Because not just women are victims.
9. Because who doesn’t?
10. Because we all may know someone who has been affected.
Get connected with the SSU Women’s center!
Their blog: http://ssuwomenscenter.blogspot.com/